- Blackboard (2007 – 2012). Provide design ideas for various products, from personas to wireframes (lo fi | hi fi) to scenarios. Created and curated company design pattern library, contributing designs used throughout the product suite. Led initiative to create company design principles, and created and led design and user research program.
- K12 Community Chest (August 2006). Gathered requirements, created wireframes, sitemaps, and provided administration for a community site (for K12 customers) built using the Drupal CMS. The site includes a blog for the CLO, a webinar archive (using Elluminate), bulletin boards, games, an art gallery, and more.
- NIDDK Website Usability Analysis (August 2005). Conducted a heuristic evaluation, researched and created personas, and performed a competitive analysis for this combined work/school project. Results were used to provide web site redesign (Sharepoint) recommendations (see paper below).
- Fay, R. (March 17, 2011). Blackboard’s Design Principles.
- Chang-Gillespie, E. (December 09, 2008). Meet Blackboard User Experience Architect Rob Fay.
- Fay, R. (March 31, 2008). Blackboard’s User Centered Design.
- Aynu, B., Fay, R., & Okereke, N. (August 16, 2005). NIDDK Website Usability Analysis [2.2 MB pdf]. Consulting work and class project.
- Fay, R. & Hunt, J. (April 1, 2011). Design for the Rudes: The Value of Design Principles. Presentation for the Information Architecture Summit.
- Fay, R. (January 23, 2010). Measuring Desirability. Presentation for UX Barcamp DC.
Rob created a UX Certification course to train other Blackboard staff in Product Development to conduct user and design research.
- User and Design Research Overview
- Blackboard User Experience Design Principles
- Types of User and Design Research Activities
- How to Facilitate Usability Tests
- How to Record Usability Tests
- Responsibilities of the Observer
- Debriefing After User and Design Research Activities
- Quick and Dirty Ethnographic Research Techniques