- Mix 09: Bill Buxton on Design & Return on Experience [Presentation Zen - Apr 09, 2009] – You may not have heard of Bill Buxton yet, but the Canadian designer and computer scientist is well known in the field of human–computer interaction. Currently he is Principal Researcher at Microsoft Research. Bill wrote a good book in 2007 called Sketching User Experiences: Getting the Design Right and the Right Design.
- 50 Totally Free Lessons in Graphic Design Theory [Psdtuts+ - Apr 02, 2009] – While many of us can create something that looks good in Photoshop or attractive when spliced into CSS, but do we actually understand the design theory behind what we create? Theory is the missing link for many un-trained but otherwise talented designers. Here are 50 excellent graphic design theory lessons to help you understand the Why’s, not just the How’s.
- The rule of 5: How to create a usability test highlights video you can be proud of [UserFocus - Apr 08, 2009] – There’s no shortage of software that will record videos from usability tests, but how do you put the clips together in a way that will convince management and the design team to take action on your results? Our solution is to use the rule of 5: Create 5 separate highlights videos each focusing on one usability issue, with each issue comprising 5 clips and with each video lasting 5 minutes or less
- MacHeist’s League of Extraordinary Dropouts Reinvents Software Sales
- Understanding, scoping and defining user experience: A survey approach – Despite the growing interest in user experience (UX), it has been hard to gain a common agreement on the nature and scope of UX. In this paper, we report a survey that gathered the views on UX of 275 researchers and practitioners from academia and industry. Most respondents agree that UX is dynamic, context-dependent, and subjective. With respect to the more controversial issues, the authors propose to delineate UX as something individual (instead of social) that emerges from interacting with a product, system, service or an object. The draft ISO definition on UX seems to be in line with the survey findings, although the issues of experiencing anticipated use and the object of UX will require further explication. The outcome of this survey lays ground for understanding, scoping, and defining the concept
of user experience.
- Redux DC: IA Summit 09 + IxD 09 – We have invited a number of fantastic people in the UX community from DC, Richmond, Philly and NYC to come down to the nations capital for a half day presenting condensed versions of their talks.
- UIEtips: Harnessing the Power of Annotations – An Interview with Dan Brown